News: IP changed Please update your room favourites

• November 20, 2019, 03:40:29 am

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Complaint - Why do some rooms fake their numbers?  (Read 10467 times)

Offline Tabitha

• Global Moderator
  • hot and humble and ready to rumble
    • View Profile
Complaint - Why do some rooms fake their numbers?
« on: March 06, 2008, 04:49:06 pm »
Okay, Taboo is where I go, where I like to chat, where I know most of you, and there's almost always entertaining individuals chatting.

That being said, "WHY" do some rooms fake their numbers?! Is it because they assume the average winmx'er can't count? That the general idea is when you enter a room which states 76 / 200, and you get in and see 7 nics (5 of which, are probably bots), you're more inclined to stay?

Unless there's some reason that I haven't figured out, it's off-putting and deceptive.  :-\

Tab

Offline cyber_beardy

• The Bearded Blunder
  • Administrator
  • <Blue circle = compusory, see highway code>
    • View Profile
    • Taboo Community Website
Re: Complaint - Why do some rooms fake their numbers?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 05:01:24 pm »
"Because they can"

I never really understood it either, the ability appeared with MCS & MCMA & every other server added it too, because the teen hosts think it's "cool"..

Could also be because by default WinMX sorts the roomlist by reported numbers.. highest first, so it's a way to artificially get your room nearer the top...

Back before fake numbers were common or possible Taboo frequently used to be in the list window without scrolling because of this, but i refuse to join in such silliness & always has, & from v3.54 with favourites & list filtering it's pretty much ceased to matter.
Blessed is he who expeteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed!

Offline fetish fairy

• View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 08:11:25 pm »
ahhhh i remember the good old days when 40 people was the limit of users to get into the room and we all used to wait in the hall to get in lol

Offline cyber_beardy

• The Bearded Blunder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 10:58:56 pm »
That very rarely happened once i started hosting.. i had a roomstart.txt that auto reset it to a 300 limit within days.. previous host(s) weere dreadful about restarting & forgetting to increase from the default 40 though..

there was that one exceptional weekend i had ppl waiting outside because the room was full (yes 300 users) but that only happened once

Offline Tabitha

• Global Moderator
  • hot and humble and ready to rumble
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 12:59:27 pm »
I remember those times well, fairy. Also no admins, no bots, and no colours. I remember the day I noticed my room list exceeded 500 rooms. I figured winmx would never go further than that.

(hobbles away thinking nostalgic winmx thoughts)

Offline Cherry

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 01:10:40 pm »
i remember typing all the commands out !!! ARGHH  what a pain.......  thank goodness for robo and quick commands and scroll mouses !!  yes yes i know it is mice !

Offline Bleeding-Angel

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2008, 01:02:42 am »
Yes I remember that too.  Back in like 2002 and 2003.  I was SOO happy when someone introduced me to Bender/Robo.  Sadly though I have had a lot of troubles trying to get Robo on my comp here.  So it's back to good ol WinMX.  Bummer... 

But as for the original topic... I hate how they do that.  It seems so juvenile when you really think about it.  I usually left rooms that did that immediately.  Seemed to become very popular in recent years... For shame
Blessed Be

Offline cyber_beardy

• The Bearded Blunder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2008, 02:05:07 am »
robo is available on the site.. along with setup instructions for getting it connected.. if you want custom stuff on right click & auto join/login etc you have my msn.. if you catch me when i'm around & not too tired i'll talk you through setting that stuff up

Offline Cherry007

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2008, 09:39:47 am »
long live WinMX and scroll mouses !!! LOL.............you know i have to be different !!  LOL